Adjusting the lawn mower so it cuts grass to a properly-high height make lawns healthier because:
- Grass plants become healthier if they aren’t scalped from too-low mowing.
- Taller mowing height shades grass roots, keeping them cool. Northern grasses like it cool.
- Increasing the mowing height with its resulting shade conserves moisture, requiring less water to keep grass green and healthy.
- If grass plants are taller, weeds become weaker as they are shaded and outcompeted by the healthier grass plants. Over time, weeds become less of a problem.
- Lawns mowed at the recommended height remain greener longer in mid-summer’s frequent heat and dryness.